Thursday 19 September 2013

Planting Potatoes

I didn't want to plant my potatoes in my veggie patch again.  Aside from not having anymore space, I want to avoid finding potatoes in the bed forever, so I went to Masters and picked up some potato growing bags.

Seed potatoes, ready to be planted
These bags are pretty cool.  I picked up 4 packs of 2 (8 in total) for $20!  Bargain!  I got 2 different styles.  One style is round with a little 'door' to harvest potatoes and the other is a larger, rectangle bag with a bottom attached by velcro.  Both of these mean I can grow the potatoes where I want to and can easily harvest them.  It also means that I can move them around the yard if I need to.

Pea straw and worm castings
The bottom of the bag has drainage holes.  To give it a bit of a boost I layered the bottom with pea straw and some worm castings (some worms were added too) followed by some soil.

Potato being planted in the bag
I then added the potatoes with the small growth pointing up.  One seed potato in each round bag, and 2 in the rectangular bag. I covered all of these with more soil and then watered.

As the potatoes grow, I will add more soil so that the potatoes will continue to grow upwards. The taller it grows the more potatoes I will get (hopefully!)

I have put the 2 round bags together near the composter and the worm farm, and the rectangular bag near the little greenhouse where the lavender pot used to be.

I still have more potatoes chitting away (basically growing the 'eyes' so they sprout).  These are the smaller potatoes I saved from my last growing attempt. They are taking longer than I thought they would, but soon I will hopefully be able to plant these too.

Happy little worms!
On a side note, when I used some of the worm castings, I was surprised by how many new/more worms there were!! They seem to be very happy in there at the moment!! I snapped a few pics to show. This is just the bottom tray, there are more in the top tray too!!



No comments:

Post a Comment